Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Myst 3 drawings: last time


While he was working on this, Seth asked me if I would like to design the flooring for the inside of the bottom story of the tower. It had to have three-way symmetry. I did what I thought was a pretty good design with some nice Celtic knotwork, but he was disappointed, and said that the knotwork was too obviously from a specific era and place. This setting was supposed to be outside our world. Above are a couple of Seth's own floor designs. In fact, the final floor design in the game turns out to be more muted than any of these, and does not call attention to itself in any way. (Then it was my turn to be disappointed. If they rejected my design, at least they could have come up with something beautiful and interesting. But I guess that was not the point.)

Below are some details he drew for the first era, none of which made the final cut.

5 comments:

Salpicão Mesquinho said...

Very interesting! When you say "first age", do you mean the house in the desert?

Oh, and are there any sketches of Narayan? I heard that Seth worked on that Age too, and that one is a personal favorite

j_ay said...

All these would look nice collected in a little pamphlet (ala the Batman Tokyo)...hint hint...

Vicki said...

Oh Salpicao, I forget the names of these things. I think it was J'Nanin, the island with the tusks, where you find all the books.
I don't have any sketches from Narayan. Only one photo of it actually. It is Seth's work though.

Jay, you think this would be something people would like to have? It didn't occur to me. I don't think I have many more drawings than what I have posted here. But maybe they exist somewhere.

j_ay said...

*I* like the little mini-books, but what would more than likely be a more wide-ranging project is putting together a Seth Fisher Sketchbook. Or The Art of Seth Fisher.

Something you could (if you wished) interest a publisher in.

Vicki said...

Yes, a book of The Life and Art of Seth Fisher is a dream that has been rumbling around in my mind for a while.