Monday, August 17, 2009

Superhero Art exhibition




I used to turn semi-regularly to an online listserve where buyers and collectors of original comic book art prattle and wrangle about their purchases, about what artists they like, and about collecting comic art in general.
Eventually I stopped reading; there was not much they had to say that was interesting to me. But on one rare visit to the site, there was a letter from one Ben Saunders, asking for contributions to an upcoming exhibition at the University of Oregon of original superhero art.

I contacted him, told him who I was, and that I have in my possession most of Seth Fisher's art.

Not only did he know Seth's work, he knew--without any prompting--the details of various individual pages of Seth's work. This is a guy who either has a photographic memory of every comic book he has ever read, or who has really loved and noticed Seth's work in particular. Probably some of both. We made arrangements for him--representing the university--to borrow six memorable pages of Seth's art.

The exhibition, which is titled "Faster than a Speeding Bullet: The Art of the Superhero", will begin on September 26, and continue through January 3. It is a HUGE show, and will contain work by some of the originators and biggest names in the genre. Seth would love to be in such company.

I posted above two of Seth's pages that are in Oregon now awaiting framing. I'll show you the rest of them soon. If you are going to be anywhere near Eugene, Oregon from the end of September through the end of the year, you might want to go make a visit. We'll be there for the opening.

1 comment:

j_ay said...

Excellent! Hopefully this will open some more eyes to the dazzling work of Seth!
Nice going, Vicki.